Author Topic: Can not upload  (Read 5894 times)

nighthawk

• View Profile
Can not upload
« on: July 25, 2008, 03:35:14 PM »
Hi,

I have control of both sides of the loop... both client and server.
The server is accessable with other applications,. yet with the "rightload" it doesn't seems to work right.

The file is being created properly, yet with it is about to upload the content it halts and gets stuck in the same point.

What do you think is the problem?

---
Nighthawk

nk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Can not upload
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 03:56:54 PM »
Please enable both logging and upload debugging (details here) and send me the _log.txt and Rightload_FTP.txt to my email!

nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 04:49:05 PM »
attached are the files...

nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 04:16:11 PM »
I checked the server log,.
and it sais SECURITY VIOLATION: Passive connection from 192.168.1.2 rejected.

nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 06:08:17 PM »
I seems to sort out the problem by modifying the server and enabling a switch in it.

Yet, it seems that something isn't very properly written on your client, here is the exact quote of what I found in the document of the ftp server, considering the switch that I have enabled:

Normally, proftpd disallows clients from using the ftp PORT command with anything other than their own address (the source address of the ftp control connection), as well as preventing the use of PORT to specify a low-numbered (< 1024) port. In either case, the client is sent an "Invalid port" error and a message is syslog'd indicating either "address mismatch" or "bounce attack". By enabling this directive, proftpd will allow clients to transmit foreign data connection addresses that do not match the client's address. This allows such tricks as permitting a client to transfer a file between two FTP servers without involving itself in the actual data connection. Generally it's considered a bad idea, security-wise, to permit this sort of thing. AllowForeignAddress only affects data connection addresses; not tcp ports. There is no way (and no valid reason) to allow a client to use a low-numbered port in its PORT command.

nk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 08:16:55 PM »
It looks like Rightload can't determine your correct IP address, probably because you are behind a router. When it sends your LAN address to the server, the server can't connect to you and the upload fails.

The short term solution would be to change your passive mode settings. I might also be able to change the way Rightload gets your IP address for a future version, but that might take a while.