Author Topic: Option Request: Allow the setting of a default directory for upload  (Read 15919 times)

got an idea

• View Profile
I am a loyal user of rightload for many years now, i LOVE this program! The image resizer was one of the best upgrades to it.

The only thing that keeps bugging me about it is that i have to manually select "auto-sort" everytime i upload something. If i forget then things get put into the wrong folder and causes me some very annoying problems later when i realize it.

I would love the option to be able to set auto-sort as the default option for upload since that is all i use.

Also a 1 button upload via auto-sort option in the context menu would be nice as well. One that doesn't make you go into 2 sub-menus first. Say give an option to change the context menu to have the first "link" be to queue files and the first menu item be a 1 button upload to the default server via auto-sort. Or you the user could select to have the menu as it is setup now. Save a few button clicks.

Lastly, I have a problem from time to time when uploading files again with the "remember this setting" option not remembering and forcing me to click the button for each file. Another option to consider for this situation would be "don't upload but create a link to the file already on the server". There are many times i re-upload stuff just to get the link to it so i can use the link again.

Just some suggestions for future updates. Thanks for all the work making this program, it is truly a life saver!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 04:16:44 AM by got an idea »

nk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Option Request: Allow the setting of a default directory for upload
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 11:53:35 AM »
First, thank you very much for your suggestions!

The only thing that keeps bugging me about it is that i have to manually select "auto-sort" everytime i upload something. If i forget then things get put into the wrong folder and causes me some very annoying problems later when i realize it.

I would love the option to be able to set auto-sort as the default option for upload since that is all i use.
This will be included in the next version.

Also a 1 button upload via auto-sort option in the context menu would be nice as well. One that doesn't make you go into 2 sub-menus first. Say give an option to change the context menu to have the first "link" be to queue files and the first menu item be a 1 button upload to the default server via auto-sort. Or you the user could select to have the menu as it is setup now. Save a few button clicks.
This would be a bit more complicated to do. I would also like to avoid cluttering up the context menu too much. What you could do though is create a SendTo-Shortcut for the server (right-click on a server in the Servers tab), which will automatically upload to the default directory.

Lastly, I have a problem from time to time when uploading files again with the "remember this setting" option not remembering and forcing me to click the button for each file.
Could you please send me the _log.txt from when this happens? How to enable logging: http://developer-community.com/forums/index.php/topic,83.0.html

Another option to consider for this situation would be "don't upload but create a link to the file already on the server". There are many times i re-upload stuff just to get the link to it so i can use the link again.
Why don't you use the URL Preview window (File -> Preview URLs)?

got an idea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 02:55:51 PM »
First, thank you very much for your suggestions!

This will be included in the next version.

Great!

This would be a bit more complicated to do. I would also like to avoid cluttering up the context menu too much. What you could do though is create a SendTo-Shortcut for the server (right-click on a server in the Servers tab), which will automatically upload to the default directory.

Yeah, this would be a little complicated if you wanted to keep from cluttering up the menu too much. Only way i could see it working is to give the user the ability to customize the context menu in the program.

Since i only upload to 1 server 98% of the time the only option i would like is to have the first button be auto-sort upload to my default server and the sub menu option to queue the files for the few times i upload to another server. But then my usage of the program may be a little different then other peoples. I am all about efficiency though, if i can cut out a few extra button clicks that is a very good thing in my book.

Only way this would work is if you had an option per user on how they wanted the context menu setup, not sure if that is even possible.

The send-to option would work as well if auto-sort was made the default upload method although still an extra button click but i am splitting hairs lol.

Lastly, I have a problem from time to time when uploading files again with the "remember this setting" option not remembering and forcing me to click the button for each file.
Could you please send me the _log.txt from when this happens? How to enable logging: http://developer-community.com/forums/index.php/topic,83.0.html

I may have spoke too soon, i updated to the latest version when i posted this thread and just noticed that this issue seems to be fixed since then!

Another option to consider for this situation would be "don't upload but create a link to the file already on the server". There are many times i re-upload stuff just to get the link to it so i can use the link again.
Why don't you use the URL Preview window (File -> Preview URLs)?

I think you misunderstood. I do use the preview option, it makes the links just fine.

I will need the same link to a file on the server multiple times. So to get this link i will re-upload the same file so that i can have rightload make the link again since that is easier then me trying to do it manually.

This option would allow rightload to skip the actual upload process (thus making things faster as some uploads can be fairly good sized) upload in these situations but still give me a link to the file already uploaded on the server.

Once again great work on this program!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 02:57:46 PM by got an idea »

nk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 04:14:19 PM »
I think you misunderstood. I do use the preview option, it makes the links just fine.

I will need the same link to a file on the server multiple times. So to get this link i will re-upload the same file so that i can have rightload make the link again since that is easier then me trying to do it manually.

This option would allow rightload to skip the actual upload process (thus making things faster as some uploads can be fairly good sized) upload in these situations but still give me a link to the file already uploaded on the server.
What I meant was that you could just add the files to the queue (without uploading them) and then use the Preview URLs window to get the URLs. No need to actually start the upload.

got an idea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 05:10:22 PM »

What I meant was that you could just add the files to the queue (without uploading them) and then use the Preview URLs window to get the URLs. No need to actually start the upload.

I tried that but the links it made are never correct for some reason.

nk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 05:20:30 PM »
Could you send me a message with an example of what they look like and what they should look like?

got an idea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 07:56:11 PM »
Could you send me a message with an example of what they look like and what they should look like?

Here is the link from the preview option: http://www.pballandmore.com/DSC_6775.JPG

And here is the link after uploading: http://www.pballandmore.com/images/DSC_6775.JPG

It doesn't add the folder to the link till after the auto-sort uploads it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:58:17 PM by got an idea »

nk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 08:43:28 PM »
In the next version this should also be fixed. :)

PS: If you are interested in beta testing it, PM me!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:45:20 PM by nk »

got an idea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 09:05:07 PM »
In the next version this should also be fixed. :)

PS: If you are interested in beta testing it, PM me!

Great, and PM sent.

Mike1959

• View Profile
    • The Skinnery
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 03:06:36 AM »
if beta testers are needed then don't hesitate to include me....your program gets regular use here...:)

nk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 01:22:32 AM »
Mike: Great, I wrote you a PM.

If anybody else is interested, feel free to message me too!

got an idea

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 10:16:31 PM »
I just wanted to update that i have been using the newest version for awhile now and love the new features.

Also the intermittent issues with the program "forgetting" to overwrite all files is less but still here. I have not been able to figure out exactly what is causing it. It is a lot better then the old version though.

I have figured out that anytime i use the "upload with autosort" option from the context menu it seems more likely to happen. I can upload the same files multiple times in a row and it is random. It does seem more likely to happen the first time i upload the files.

Really have not been able to nail down a pattern for this at all yet. Just figured i would let you know so you could keep your eye out.

chunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 04:04:43 AM »
where can i get the latest version of awhile?