Author Topic: Shell Option in Portable Version  (Read 8697 times)

hamasaki

• View Profile
Shell Option in Portable Version
« on: September 27, 2011, 09:04:10 PM »
Hello,

Silly question, but how do I enable a right click option for the portable version? I don`t see anything in the options and nothing appears in the context menu after I run the program. I`m running Windows 7, 32 bit.

Thank you,
h.

nk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Shell Option in Portable Version
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 01:29:10 AM »
In order to enable the context menu items, Rightload would have to register a shell extension with Windows. This would not only make changes to the system, but also cause problems if you want to remove the flash drive containing Rightload from the computer again.

Since this would defeat the whole point of a portable application, it will unfortunately not be possible to enable the context menu. If you really want to do something like this, the only suggestion I could make is to put the installer on the drive, install Rightload where ever you need it, and then change the configuration directory to a folder on your flash drive. This would allow you to move your configuration between computers while still having the context menu.

Sorry!

hamasaki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 11:46:14 AM »
Thank you for the explanation. That all makes perfect sense.

I get the best option then is to stick with the installed version? The only reason I prefer portable is it makes it easier to synchronise updates between my laptops.

Thanks again.

nk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 05:11:58 PM »
I think installing it as usual and then just saving the config files to your flash drive would be the easiest solution. You'd still have to install updates from time to time, but at least you can share the configuration.

John0877

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 08:26:34 AM »
Is there a way to run it in a semi-portable mode yet retain the context menu? What I am after is the config files remaining in the folder as the exe is at instead of going to the User directory by default, then could still keep the context menu. I prefer this option not for running it on a flash drive but just keeping file locations neater and not strewn around my drive.

I realise i just kinda answered my own question but it was still kind of a hassle to get it working right as I kept losing my servers list and plugins list in the context menu.
Finally found the Custom Settings Folder option.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 08:51:01 AM by John0877 »

chunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 04:05:48 AM »
@nk

thank you for the instructions i will try them later :D