Author Topic: 1.6b3 install problems  (Read 4777 times)

pwright2

• View Profile
1.6b3 install problems
« on: February 03, 2009, 01:00:55 PM »
I have only recently discovered Rightload.  I have installed it on 4 machines, 1 Vista Home Premium and 3 WinXP Pro.  Well, that's not quite true.  One of the XP machines refuses to install.  It gets as far as 'registering files' and then locks up.  I have to kill the process to get out, which leaves nothing showing as installed. 

I am installing as Adminstrator.  I have tried after clean reboots.  I have shut off the antivir.  No error messages appear.  The Process Explorer shows two processes, neither if which is using any CPU once it freezes.

Any suggestions?  I'd really like it to work on this particular machine.

-----Paul-----

nk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 1.6b3 install problems
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 01:11:15 PM »
Can you think of any possible differences between the XP machines that work and the one that doesn't? Maybe they are on different Windows service packs, or you are using some software on one machine but not the other.

You could also try installing without context menu support (which should work in any case) and then enabling it manually later.

Please let me know what happens!

pwright2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 08:06:11 PM »
There are no obvious differences in the setup of the various machines.  All are SP3. 

I am, indeed, able to install when I deselect the context menu function.  Unfortunately, this is exactly the functionality I am after.  When I run the program after such an install, when I attempt to close the advanced menu (whether or not I try to activate the context menu), I get the following message. 

Access violation at address 00555755 in module rightload.exe.  Write of address 00000012.

-----Paul-----

nk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 08:32:28 PM »
Please download this file, copy it to your installation directory (overwriting the old one) and then try to enable the context menu again from the options:

http://rightload.org/files/RightloadContext.dll

pwright2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 04:47:56 AM »
I performed the test but fear the results are inconclusive.

I copied the dll file and started up Rightload.  I pulled up the Options and immediately closed them and got the same 'access violation' message.  Then it occurred to me that it might make a difference if I set up a server.  So I did that and was able to open and close the Options menu without error.  Then I clicked the Options-Advanced-context menu box.  Got an hourglass for a bit and then nothing.  I closed the Options menu.  No error.  Then I rightclicked a filename.  No sign of Rightload in the context menu.  I reopened the Options menu and verified that the context menu block was checked.  Closed the menu.  Still no rightload in context menu. 

Unfortunately it did not occur to me to reload the original dll file to see if that made a difference. 

Tomorrow.

-----Paul-----

arst

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 02:38:56 PM »
Im also got the same problem, the install progress stop at "registering files"...

the only way i can do was force to stop the install process, and also need to delete installed file manually....

I had try to reboot and close antivirus software and install again, it still got the same problem

my os is windows xp with sp3....is there solution now?

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 07:03:55 AM by arst »

nk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 08:43:56 PM »
Please try to download and install this version: http://rightload.org/files/Rightload_Setup_1.6.0_Beta_4.exe

It may not fix the problem, but if you check in the main Rightload program under "Help" you should find a new option called "Context Menu Error Log" there. Please send me the contents of that log!

arst

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 07:30:51 AM »
after I installed 1.6b4, the option Context Menu Error Log said "no error messeage have been logged so far"

I find that the program can works normally even forced to stop the install progress

I think all install progress is fine except at "registering files" progress..

nk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 10:47:19 PM »
Everything except the context menu should work, yes.

http://test.hhtt.org/1.6b5/RightloadContext.dll - Could you please download this file to your Rightload directory, replace the old one, restart your computer and then try to register the file via Rightload again? The context menu error log should then contain some information.

Thank you so much for your help!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 10:40:21 AM by nk »