Author Topic: Better minification filter for thumbnails  (Read 4766 times)

CapnBry

• View Profile
Better minification filter for thumbnails
« on: July 14, 2009, 01:51:37 PM »
I posted this on SA too, but this is probably the best place for it.

I hate adding shell extensions to my machine, because of what eventually becomes an overwhelming number of items on the context menu, but I finally bit the bullet and installed Rightload.  I love that I can just use it as a Send To item!  It works great but I'd suggest something:

What resampler are you using when minifying images for thumbnails?  I see a lot of aliasing for example:

Looks like basic nearest/point filtering artifacts visible in the horizontal edge of the stand, the vertical part of the Wii, etc.  If you're not setting DevIL's filtering method you may consider adding iluImageParameter(ILU_FILTER, ...) before the iluScale call.  I think the default is ILU_NEAREST and replacing it with LINEAR or BILINEAR would probably suffice.  However, If you really want to get fancy, consider using ILU_SCALE_MITCHELL for images with alpha and ILU_SCALE_LANCZOS for others, which is what ImageMagick defaults to for image minification.  For comparison, here's the image with a box filter applied instead of the default point filter.

Oh and if we're nitpicking, on the Copy URL dialog, it would be nice if it remembered what style of URL you had last selected.  And if the close button was flagged as Cancel=true so hitting escape would close it.

Mike1959

• View Profile
    • The Skinnery
Re: Better minification filter for thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 07:18:19 AM »
interesting but useful points buddy...and just as a point of interest what is it I see on your screen at the time of the photograph?

CapnBry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 01:23:34 PM »
That's the media center program XBMC.  Specifically, the Video Library view with a skin called MediaStream Redux.

Mike1959

• View Profile
    • The Skinnery
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 07:30:00 AM »
many thanks for the info...heading over there to check it out... :)

I couldn't locate the 'redux'...I'll investigate further.

scrap that...I found it..:)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 08:24:59 AM by Mike1959 »